Adaptive reuse of 100 year old, 4-story manufacturing building as 25 mixed income rental units with parking.
Capstone Communities, a Cambridge based developer of mixed income, workforce and historic apartment communities, engaged PCA to design the complete historic rehabilitation of the former Stall & Dean Building, located in the heart of Brockton’s Smart Growth Overlay District near Brockton’s City Hall.
The design capitalizes on the original building character to create the type of environment sought after by young professionals and empty nesters. Station Lofts offers 25 apartment homes including 5 lofts, 16 two-bedroom and 4 one-bedroom units, with parking for 26 cars on site. The lofts are designed as live-work units that are marketed to artists, bringing a more eclectic mix to Brockton’s downtown. The one-story addition from the mid-20th century has been converted into an open-air parking garage.
Exposed brick and ceiling beams, original wood floors, bead board ceilings, sliding fire doors and an original stairway are integrated into the design. The installation of historically accurate windows, re-pointing of the original brick exterior, new landscaping, sidewalk and lighting improvements transform this abandoned building, infusing life into the downtown and helping to spur future housing and economic development.
The building was originally occupied in 1898 by the Stall & Dean Company — one of the oldest sporting goods manufacturers in America — producing uniforms and equipment for many Hall of Fame athletes and a variety of sports teams from baseball, tennis, football, basketball, and volleyball to the first hockey teams in the country. Artifacts from a more recent owner, the Lilly Brackett Boot & Shoe Co., are displayed throughout the building, documenting its contributions to the City of Brockton.
The adaptive reuse has been designed in compliance with Massachusetts Historical Commission and National Park Service standards for rehabilitation, utilizing federal and state historic tax credits that will enable it to preserve the building’s historical integrity and details.
Paul E. Tsongas Award, 2015